Friday, October 28, 2011

Two Grandchildren

I found a copy of Catharine Elizabeth Taylor Moore's portrait in the book, The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore (Facsimile of the Original 1848 Edition With a Life of Moore by Arthur N. Hosking).  That book cost me $3!  Woot!  Here's her portrait.  Or a horrible reproduction of it.  The portrait is probably very lovely in real life.  I blame my camera and the shiny paper that I photographed.


In any case, I think she is lovely.  She was born in 1795, married at nineteen, had nine children, and died at thirty-six.  And, important to this blog anyway, she was Phebe Taylor's granddaughter (by Phebe's son William Taylor).

I thought I'd also post a good portrait that I found of another grandchild of Phebe's, Commodore William Bainbridge (who I've posted about before) and then comment on the fact that I think there's a likeness between him and Catharine.


Is that just me?  They were cousins, and while I don't think I look anything like my cousins, my brother, in fact, does.  And my brother looks a whole lot more like my mother than I do.  But then he doesn't look like any one of his grandparents.  I don't know.  I don't know!  It's impossible to extrapolate, but this is all I've got so far, people!  I'll bet there was a portrait of Phebe somewhere at some time but that it's still in someone's personal collection.  And who knows who that someone is.  *sigh*

I'm just going to have to be happy I've got these portraits.  Which are nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment